- Before installing ShowDown please make sure you deactivate and delete the free version from your WordPress admin panel. You would have gotten the free version from WordPress.org. Leaving it active may cause an error in your backend admin panel, don’t worry just deactivate it and continue with our instructions below.
- After purchase, download the plugin ZIP file.
- Open up your WordPress admin panel for the site you want to install it on.
- Navigate to “Plugins > Add New” and click on “Upload”. Browse to find the ZIP file you downloaded in Step 1 on your computer, select it and then click “Install Now”.
- Once upload has finished you can “Activate” it.
- You will now see a new menu item called “ShowDown”. Go to Settings to set it up.
Setting up ShowDown
- Set a maximum image height and a maximum image width for your Battles and Yay/Nay contests.
TIP: If your blog Post width is 600 pixels, you would set a maximum width of your images to 280. This will allow some space between the images to maintain aesthetics. To find out your blog Post width contact your theme developer.
- Select whether you want to show Facebook and Twitter share buttons.
- Click “Update Settings”.
- There is a quick help section in this area, please take the time to read it.
- Please visit your Settings > Permalinks panel in WordPress and click on Save Changes. You should now be able to see your Competitors.
- You can customise the text displayed for all actions of the plugin from this tab.
- Fill up the fields as you like and click “Update Settings”.
Adding Your First Competitor
- First, you should add a “Group”. Groups work exactly the same as your regular categories and can be used to separate contests.
- Navigate to the “Competitors” menu and click on “Add New”.
- Enter the Post title, as you normally would, any text you may like in the editor and upload an image.
- Once the image has uploaded click “Use as featured image”.
- Select a Group as your category for your Competitor, or create a new Group name. Publish your Competitor.
- Do not put all your images in one Competitor Post. You have to create one Competitor Post per image, you can always change the featured image later.
- You may choose to have as many or as little Competitors as you like.
- You can also enter a link, including affiliate links, in the custom panel provided called “Competitor Options”. Entering an affiliate link can help you in making money with the plugin!*
Showing the Battles and Yay/Nay Contests
- Add a new regular Post or Page.
- Click on the lightning bolt ShowDown icon and select the properties from the generator you want for the Shortcode Type.
- Click on Insert Shortcode once you’re done.
- If you are showing Battles, click on the ShowDown icon again and select “Battle Results”, then Insert Shortcode again. You should place the Battle Results preferably below the Battle shortcode.
- Similarly, you can create a separate page to show statistics for the Yay/Nay contestants.
- Competitor images are randomly accessed from your Competitors database. Having too few Competitors may cause the shortcode to show the same battles more than once.
IMPORTANT: You can only show ONE shortcode per Post/Page and you can only show ONE shortcode on your home page. Use the “more” tag to separate your content.
Showing Videos and/or Content
- You can enter any amount of textual content you like when creating a new Competitor. You can also embed a video,the same as you would when you create a regular Post/Page.
- Embed the video code in HTML mode if you would like to show a video for the Battle or Yay/Nay Contests.
- When you insert the shortcode, as described above, make sure and select to show the Description. This will show all the textual content you have entered for the Competitor, including the embedded video. You can disable showing the Images in this case.
- You may need to edit the width and height of the embedded video code for optimal display.
- You can enter the statistics shortcode the same way you entered your ShowDown shortcode, by clicking the icon to use the generator.
*Please check details with your affiliate program. No guarantee is given, or implied, on earning an income by using the ShowDown Plugin.